David's Blog

Mostly Hobby Stuff

Archive for January 2010

Threading Fixes

leave a comment »

Today, after job hunting, I fixed light updates in relation to threading and also made the stats system thread safe. In addition I added a thread name field to the stats packet. I send packets of information from the game to a “Stats Sever” which displays the packets in a DataGrid and draws graphs of any fields the user wishes.

Screenshot of stats server:

jan20

Written by therealdblack

January 20, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Lets see if I bother updating this blog much…

leave a comment »

OK, I am going to try updating this a bit. Perhaps post some screenshots of what I am doing on my hobby XNA game/engine (which I am calling WindPuzzle for now) . Plus some random thoughts…

Today I have been working on finishing threading the entity update loop, so that it runs concurrently with the rendering. I have done this since the frame time was pretty bad and the split between rendering load/entity update was fairly even. Note that the entity update includes some cloth vertex re-arrangement, waiting for the physics update, particle updates and animation blending.

This gave a nice speedup to about 30fps from 18-22 or so. I lost frame rate prior to the actual threading, after re-organizing the rendering to copy render data to proxy objects, things were running closer to 16-18fps, some of this is avoidable and I aim to fix a few of these. For example I need to fix visibility feedback to the entities, redundant/inefficient bulk copies etc.

jan19

Since this is my first post, I have added a bonus screenshot of the editor:-)

jan19_2

Written by therealdblack

January 19, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Posted in Hobby Game